Major, Maria João
Maria João Major is an Associate Professor of Management Accounting and Control at Nova SBE, Universidade Nova de Lisboa. She holds a PhD from the University of Manchester and a Post-doc from the Manchester Business School. She has published in academic journals such as ‘Management Accounting Research’, ‘European Accounting Review’, ‘Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal’, ‘Accounting, Organizations and Society’ and ‘Total Quality Management and Business Excellence’, among others. Maria João is also the author or co-author of several books and international book chapters. She is on the editorial board of ‘Qualitative Research on Accounting and Management’, ‘Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change’ and earlier on the editorial board of the ‘European Accounting Review’. She is additionally active in refereeing articles for a number of leading accounting journals. Maria João has served as member of scientific committees in several international accounting conferences. Prior to joining Nova SBE she was Associate Professor at ISCTE-IUL where she received teaching awards as best professor in post-graduate programs and executive education.
- Aggregation in Accounting, 2014, ISCTE-IUL
- PhD in Accounting and Finance, 2002, University of Manchester (UK)
- MSc in Finance, 1996, ISCTE-IUL (Portugal)
- 'Licenciatura' (5 years degree) in Business Administration, ISCTE-IUL (Portugal)
Maria João’s research interests lie in the study of management accounting change drawing on organizational theories, in particular, institutional theory. She is also interested in studying implementation issues related to the adoption of activity-based costing and management (ABC/M), balanced scorecard and time-driven activity-based costing (TDABC), target costing and kaizen costing in public and private organizations. Currently she is conducting a research project on management control in the health care sector.
- Major, M., Conceição, A. and Clegg, S. (Forthcoming) “When Institutional Entrepreneurship Failed: The Case of a Responsibility Centre in a Portuguese Hospital”, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal.
- Major, M., Moll, J. and Hoque, Z. (Forthcoming) “The Qualitative Research Tradition”, In Zahirul, H. (Ed.) Methodological Issues in Accounting Research: Theories and Methods, 2nd edition (Spiramus: London).
- Cruz, I. and Major, M.J. (2016) “Challenges of the New Public Management in a Public Hospital”, In Leitão, J. and Alves, H. (Eds.) Entrepreneurial and Innovative Practices in Public Institutions: A Quality of Life Approach”, Springer, pp. 237-260.
- Pimentel, L. and Major, M.J. (2015) “Key Success Factor for Quality Management Implementation: Evidence from the Public Sector”, Total Quality Management & Business Excellence (TQM&BE), Vol. 27 (9-10), pp. 997-1012.