Within the scope of the Recovery and Resilience Plan (RRP) a set of reforms and investments was defined to contribute for increasing young peoples’ participation in higher education, the graduation of population and the increase of research and development in Portugal, reinforcing the objective of convergence with Europe over the next decade.
In this context, the Impulso Jovens STEAM and Incentivo Adults programs aim to support initiatives to be developed by higher education institutions (HEIs), in partnership or consortium with companies, public and/or private, and including local authorities and public entities, regional and national:
The Impulso Jovens STEAM wishes to promote and support initiatives aimed exclusively at increasing the higher education of young people in STEAM - Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics areas, through the degrees’ offer and other training at a higher level;
The Incentivo Adultos aims to support the re-skilling and upskilling of active adults, through short-term training in higher education, at initial and post-graduate levels, in all areas of knowledge, as well as on-the-job lifelong training.
The project at Nova SBE consists of promoting two transversal projects at NOVA:
- Transformative Learning for Future-Proofed Professionals, addressing the skills gap emerging from the global challenges described above;
- Organizational Transformation for Academic Success and Employability, executing a transversal implementation of strategies and job creation systems centred on the student/participant, promoting inclusion, and guaranteeing fair access to NOVA's proposals for programs and initiatives.
The project is also based on four components already underway at NOVA:
- 1. The continuous internal digital transformation of systems, processes and operations;
- 2. The spread of enhanced technological learning towards open and inclusive education;
- 3. Operational excellence to ensure that NOVA executes its employability promotion strategy efficiently and effectively;
- 4. A scholarship and mentorship system to ensure fair access to STEAM skills.
The investment in the project by UNL amounts to 12.9 million euros, excluding VAT, of which approximately 280 thousand euros will be invested in Nova SBE, within the scope of Impulso Jovem STEAM, and 700 thousand euros, within the scope of Incentivo Adultos.