Who can apply
- Highly motivated students from natural, environment, life, health, economics, management, and other sciences, from around the world, who want a collaborative environment to pursue their research on Agrobiotechnology, Health Sciences, ou Agribusiness and Governance for development, in Tropical or European countries, provided they fulfill minimum academic criteria.
- Entreprenuers who want to upgrade or extend their business to African countries and other tropical regions.
- Professionals who wish to pursue careers involving triangular North-South-South cooperation and global development issues.
Overall, this program is of particular interest for candidates who seek to deepen their understanding on the specificities of tropical knowledge and management in the context of North-South and South-South relations.
Applications are selected on evidence of a proper degree of scholarly ability, motivation to complete a challenging academic program and consistent career objectives with the DP subject. Qualified students from any discipline may be considered for admission. In detail, the minimum academic/professional qualifications needed for a student to be enrolled into the program are:
a) A Bolognaâ€™s 2nd cycle degree from an accredited institution or legal equivalent
b) Proven English proficiency is mandatory
How to apply
For the 2017/2018 intake applications are open from 05 December 2016 to 28 February 2017.
- Curriculum Vitae (In English): This should summarize your background (your education, grades, general work experiences and accomplishments, interests, values, previous research work, awards, etc.)
- Transcript of records for the Undergraduate Degree
- Transcript of records for the Masters Degree
- Letter of Intent. This should be a comprehensive letter of intent as must include the following:
- why you wish to do a Ph.D. at Nova SBE
- what you would like to study
- who you would like to work withâ€”possible supervisor(s)
- your career goals after the Ph.D.
- your financial circumstances and how you hope to support yourself financially
- any funding requirements you may have
- Sample Research Proposal (You are expected to develop the initial Ph.D. proposal (up to 6000 words). This proposal will be used to assess your research potential, help identify potential supervisors, and for applying for an FCT grant (should you need financial support). Make sure to address critical areas, such as discussing the research topic that you expect to explore during the coming years, bringing in key authors working on the topic, and how your work will advance knowledge of the field. Keep in mind that this is only a sample proposalâ€”your actual research will change quite a bit once you have found a supervisor and discussed possible research directions.)
- Recommendation letters (minimum 2)